Wine Lounge & Studio Manager
Company: Smith & Sheth, Pyramid Valley, Lowburn Ferry (Aotearoa NZ Fine Wine Estates)
Uploaded: 24 January 2024
Closes: 24 February 2024
We are on the hunt for a wine industry professional and leader who has a passion for delivering an exceptional wine experience and is keen and ready to wrap their arms around the amazing wine lounge and cellar door at Smith and Sheth. This is a great chance to take ownership of making sure everyone who walks in the door feels at home in this award-winning Oenothèque and wine studio, located in the heart of Havelock North.
Smith & Sheth has carved out a very special place in the Hawkes Bay wine scene. Nestled under the umbrella of Aotearoa New Zealand Fine Wine Estates, they have created a uniquely New Zealand fine wine proposition. They own three independent wine brands; Pyramid Valley, Smith & Sheth and Lowburn Ferry, each known for their commitment to quality and fine wine reputation. You will be joining their mission to be regarded amongst the world’s best producers of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.
This is a varied role where you will be the front-facing in-house ambassador for their three wine brands. There is a passionate and knowledgeable small team that you will be leading, supporting and steering to ensure delivery of a memorable guest experience across their varied wine offerings from New Zealand and around the world.
The life-friendly opening hours from run from Wednesday to Sunday, daytimes and evenings until 9pm.
This is a varied and hands-on role that includes:
- Sourcing and executing a diverse, ever-changing wine program with a focus on quality and interest
- Developing your palate and knowledge working alongside respected leaders in winemaking, viticulture and management
- A day-to-day sales presence on the floor, inspiring our young, engaged team
- Responsibility for the ongoing operational and financial success of your department, with training and mentoring to develop your business skills
- Recruitment, training and development of the wine and beverage team
- Future planning and execution of special events and activations
The successful applicant will:
- Be passionate about people and delivering an exceptional and approachable service experience.
- Possess strong wine, beverage and food knowledge with a desire for continued learning. Formal wine training is a plus (WSET 3 or above is desirable) or equivalent industry experience.
- Have at least 3 years of hospitality management/leadership experience, ideally in a wine-focused environment.
- Thrive in a high energy environment, calm under pressure and possess great team management skills.
- Experience in service and venue operational procedures ensuring a seamless experience for guests.
- Demonstrate excellent oral communication skills and have the ability to interact in a natural and professional manner, building great relationships with guests, staff and suppliers.
If you feel you have the wine expertise, a passion for customer experience and a team partnership philosophy that will ensure this amazing venue continues to deliver an exceptional wine experience that reinforces the fine wine credentials of three amazing wine brands, all in one place, then we would love to hear from you. Please apply through this seek portal or telephone Rachel Cornwall on 0272 565 620 for a confidential discussion to learn more.
We will be moving quickly with applicants over the holiday period - so if this feels like you don't hesitate to apply or make contact.
Only people eligible to work in this country should apply for this position. Please provide evidence of your work visa or citizenship.
- For information about the Hawkes Bay wine region, click here.