Assistant Vineyard Manager
Bannockburn, Central Otago
Company: Terra Sancta
Uploaded: 09 November 2023
Closes: 08 December 2023
Terra Sancta means “special place” and it couldn’t be more true of where we farm our 36 hectares of vines over four Estate owned vineyards: Bannockburn, Central Otago. Regarded as one of the great terroirs in which to grow and make Pinot Noir, our whole team (farming, winemaking, operations and sales), is based out of our winery located amongst our Estate vineyards on Felton Road, Bannockburn.
Terra Sancta is a “vine to bottle” producer. We farm, make and bottle on site, under our brand “Terra Sancta”. In the vineyard, we run a certified organic, no-till regenerative farming programme, involving Baby Doll sheep and above-ground weed management systems. We are now looking for an Assistant Vineyard Manager to join our dedicated and multi-faceted team.
Under the direction of Andrew Keenleyside, Winemaker and Vigneron, the Assistant Vineyard Manager is charged with making sure the vineyard programme is executed to a timely and high standard, according to schedule. Terra Sancta is a small team, so the role involves both doing and managing.
Key managerial responsibilities include:
- Directing work assignments and delegating work to field crew in an effective manner.
- Training crew in the areas of scheduling, procedures, safety and regulation.
- Maintaining close supervision of field crews, assuring proper procedures and quality of work.
- Directing the team which includes permanent, contract and casual workers.
- Planning and coordinating vineyard operations on a weekly basis.
- Organising vineyard operations budgets.
- Monitoring vines for disease pressure and planning and implementation of the organic programme.
- Working with the Vineyard Administrator to keep accurate, timely records of events, work schedules, etc.
- Reviewing and approving timesheet information to ensure accuracy in payroll.
- Assisting in the implementation of Health and Safety policies and protocols.
- Successfully managing people.
- A minimum of 4 years direct vineyard experience.
- Strong communication skills.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Great people skills and the ability to build a productive, cohesive team.
- Hardworking and motivated.
- Solid computer and spreadsheet skills.
- Degree in viticulture or related field.
Must have proficiency in operating:
- Machinery: Tractors.
- Equipment: sprayers, disc, mowers, trimmers, mulchers, etc.
- Knows/will quickly learn to: calibrate sprayers, hydraulics, simple repairs and service.
If you want to work in one of the best places in the world to grow Pinot Noir, and you are excited about regenerative, organic viticulture and helping to create great wine in a healthy, vital team environment, then this may be the role for you.
Apply by email via the link above.
Applications close Friday 8 December 2023, however, interviews will commence immediately.
Only people eligible to work in this country should apply for this position. Please provide evidence of your work visa or citizenship.
- For information about the Central Otago wine Region, click here.