Vintage 2024 Cellar Hands
Company: Sileni Estates
Uploaded: 26 September 2023
Closes: 26 December 2023
Sileni Wines is located in the sub-region of the Bridge Pa Triangle in the sunny Hawke’s Bay and produces premium Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, Albarino, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Syrah from across Hawke’s Bay’s and Marlborough’s diverse sub-regions.
Sileni Wines is part of Booster Wine Group which is a collection of NZ wineries, including Waimea Estates, Bannock Brae and Awatere River Wine Company. It is here at Sileni Wines where a dynamic, reliable team player is required to join our Hawke’s Bay based winery as Vintage Cellar Hands for the 2024 Harvest.
The vintage positions will commence in early-mid February, depending on the grape growing season. We offer an 8-week minimum contract, with a chance of extending some contracts depending on experience. As expected, long vintage hours and shiftwork are required during the peak of harvest, and we provide a meal each day over this peak. We contribute towards your accommodation with a subsidy, and we are happy to assist you with finding accommodation if required.
Our ideal candidates will possess:
- A minimum of 2 vintages experience (previous experience in a mid-to-large winery is advantageous)
- A passion for making wine
- Can-do attitude with attention to detail
- Appetite for hard work with a reasonable level of fitness
- Health & Safety conscious
- A great sense of humor and the ability to communicate effectively in English
- The ability to work well with others as part of a team
Vintage Cellar hand responsibilities & tasks:
- Grape receival, processing and pressing
- Flotation & filtration
- Racking & transfers
- Additions & Innoculations
- Red wine management
- Barrel management
- General cellar & Equipment hygiene
- Previous experience in Forklift, RDV, Dieme Presses is an advantage but not essential
- Grape maturity sampling
- Assistance with Routine Laboratory Analyses
As a medium-sized winery we can offer you variety, exposure to numerous aspects of the winemaking process, and the opportunity to be part of a close-knit, friendly team who are dedicated to producing quality wines
In return, we will provide:
- A competitive wage rate depending on experience
- An 8-week contract with a minimum of 32 hours per week in the periods before and after harvest
- 12-hour shifts during peak, with rostered days off
- 1x daily meal during peak shift work
- Assistance finding accommodation as well as a subsidy towards accommodation
- Full on-the-job training
- Chance to increase your knowledge of New Zealand wine
If this sounds like you, please forward a CV, two references, and a cover letter outlining your main areas of experience via the ‘Apply Now’ button.
Only people eligible to work in this country should apply for this position. Please provide evidence of your work visa or citizenship.
- For information about working in New Zealand, visit the Immigration Department website: www.immigration.govt.nz
- For information about New Zealand's Inland Revenue Department (for tax purposes and getting tax numbers etc), visit www.ird.govt.nz
- For information about the Hawkes Bay wine region, click here.
- Jobseekers should be aware that the start and finish dates of harvest work employment may change from those suggested by wineries at the time of your job offer. Vintage dates can not accurately be predicted.
It is therefore important that you understand that depending on your employment arrangements with the employer there may be a period of time where you have no work or less work than you were expecting, and should have sufficient financial arrangements in place should this occur. Your actual start and finish dates may vary - if you have queries around this, check with your winery employer before booking airline tickets etc.