Assistant Winemaker - Vineyard
Company: Huia Vineyards
Uploaded: 24 January 2023
Closes: 24 February 2023
At Huia we respect our land by making certified organic wines. Our Rapaura, Marlborough vineyard has 6.5 planted hectares in Rapaura, Marlborough with Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Syrah. We also make elegant wines with grapes grown in other vineyards in our 400T winery.
We’re seeking a hands-on person in the vineyard who can help with winemaking tasks when there’s quiet times in the vineyard. A combined viticulture & winemaking degree (or similar) will be highly regarded as would a couple of years of vineyard experience. We’re a small team. The successful candidate will need to be multi-skilled and enjoy working in a varied role that includes hands on work. You’ll be rewarded with the satisfaction of making some of the best wines from Marlborough.
This is a permanent position. In quieter times, this may be a 40 hour a week job. Seasonally, longer hours will be needed to keep up with growing vines. There will likely be visits to contract growers to check the progress of the grapes as they grow.
- People person – this role will involve working with the Winemaker & owner, other vineyard staff & contractors and harvest/casual staff.
- A willingness to learn and share your knowledge in a respectful manor.
- Passionate about wine and growing high quality grapes to make high quality wine.
- Experience and knowledge (or demonstrate a commitment) with biodynamic and organic grape growing.
- Sound verbal and written communication skills.
- Work well as part of a team.
- Motivated to learn new skills including IT systems (or already skilled using Vinsight).
- Attention to detail to be precise and efficient in work.
- Be adaptable and able to think on your feet – vineyards have many surprises and our industry has undergone massive change in the last 3 years.
Huia offers a great work environment in a small team and the opportunity to be shaping some of Marlborough’s best wines. If you’re interested, please email your CV to: email@example.com
Only people eligible to work in this country should apply for this position. Please provide evidence of your work visa or citizenship.
- For information about the Marlborough wine region, click here.