Hospitality Operations Manager
Company: Monte Christo Winery
Uploaded: 20 January 2023
Closes: 20 February 2023
Monte Christo Winery has a long history dating back to 1864 when founder Jean-Desire Feraud produced the South Island’s first wine. We are a family-owned winery located in Clyde, Central Otago, focused on producing high-quality Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from organic vineyards.
As a new wine brand coming to market later this year, you get to bring all of your previous knowledge, leadership skills and service excellence to this newly-created position.
As a key member of our management team, you will oversee the front-of-house team and the day-to-day operations for our hospitality venues, including wine experiences in our cellar door, sales operations, customer service, and guest accommodation.
This is truly a ‘ground up’ opportunity, so you’ll need to be confident wearing many hats as we move into pre-opening preparations. From the start, you’ll be taking on much of the behind-the-scenes administration and planning to ensure that we are ready to open our doors on time. Once we’re up and running, much of your time will be spent representing our brand on the floor, interacting with consumers and conducting tastings and tours to build strong, lasting relationships with guests and wine club members.
Our current development includes the adaptative reuse of the original 1872 Feraud Winery building into a cellar door, with indoor/outdoor wine tasting and dining areas. There will be 2 holiday accommodations, a small prep kitchen for food service, storage, and a staff office, along with other ancillary elements. Additionally, in the local Council approval stage, there is a 200-ton production winery, barrel hall and dining space, wine education and tasting area. Finally, we are commencing design for a second cellar door in another nearby location.
What you bring to the role:
- Strong customer-focused leadership experience; Managing, training and motivating a team
- A breadth of wine and food knowledge and experience, providing service excellence at all levels; previous cellar door experience is advantageous
- Lead by example, with rostered hours on the floor alongside your team, hosting tastings and tours
- Previous experience overseeing accommodation or hotel room operations
- Computer literacy to include previous POS & CRM experience
- Administrative proficiency to manage inventory & supplies, sales reporting, developing SOPs, manage staff rosters, develop POS materials working closely with Director of Marketing & Consumer Sales
- Assist with event planning, management and execution as needed on-site, and occasionally represent Monte Christo Winery at off-site events or tastings
- Ability to lift and handle materials weighing up to 18 kgs; pack and prepare wine orders & shipping consignments as needed
- Solid organizational skills
- Recruitment and onboarding proficiency
- The ability to communicate effectively and compassionately in person and in the written word
- Be in possession of, or able to obtain, a Duty Manager’s Certificate
You will report directly to: Our Company Director responsible for Finance, Operations and Development.
You will indirectly report to: Our Company Director who is a Master of Wine (MW) and our Director of Marketing & Consumer Sales.
You are working with: Our amazing Viticulturist and Winemaker, our Director of Marketing & Consumer Sales, and the people who you hire.
What is in it for you?
A competitive salary and benefits, potential for housing in the short or longer term, and the rare opportunity to help define and shape the customer experience at Monte Christo Winery from the ground up.
A final note
We are very excited for what the future holds, and recognise our unique position in reviving a property of such historical importance in the NZ wine industry. We look forward to introducing a new premium wine brand to the world, providing an unparalleled guest experience, and building an enduring family legacy.
If this opportunity sounds like a good fit, we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV along with a brief personal introduction. We anticipate there will be a lot of interest for this new role, so we appreciate your patience as we conduct our search. We will endeavour to reply to all applicants.
You must have unrestricted work rights in New Zealand to apply.
Only people eligible to work in this country should apply for this position. Please provide evidence of your work visa or citizenship.
- For information about the Central Otago wine Region, click here.