Assistant Winemaker/Vineyard Supervisor
Company: The Landing Wines Company
Uploaded: 08 September 2022
Closes: 08 October 2022
As part of a 400-hectare coastal property, The Landing has 9 ha of producing vines, and 4 ha of new planting over the next three years. The well-equipped on-site winery built in 2019 processes only estate-grown fruit.
Our small team is looking for a key all-rounder with a passion for quality wine production, from pruning to bottling.
Approximately 50:50 winery/vineyard, this role follows the seasons to support both operations. Expect to be full-time in the winery over vintage and mainly in the vineyard during pruning and the growing season.
In the winery the role will require:
- Vintage processing - receival, sorting, destemming, pressing, cleaning.
- Basic lab - pH/TA/alcohol etc.
- Year-round cellar operations including forklifting barrels
- Record keeping (Vinsight)
- Plant and equipment maintenance
- Maintenance of the facility to a high standard
In the vineyard:
- Supervising, training and working with seasonal staff on all vineyard operations including pruning, shoot thinning, plucking, wire lifting, netting etc.
- New vineyard development – planting, trellis work, training etc.
- Vineyard maintenance – clips, wires, posts etc.
- To be familiar with common vineyard pests and diseases, and be able to identify and monitor
- Tractor operation e.g. spraying, mowing, trimming etc.
- Training will be provided, including all relevant courses such as First Aid, Forklift, Growsafe, Manual handling etc. if required.
The ideal experience and attributes:
- Winery experience, preferably both lab and cellar operations.
- Fit and enthusiastic with problem solving skills, and attention to detail.
- Supervisor skills, ability to keep a crew working efficiently
- Available to work extra hours throughout the season as required especially over harvest.
- Full driver's license
- Relevant training and experience, e.g. Forklift, tractor etc.
- Responsible and reliable, with respect for equipment and other staff
First planted in 2007, The Landing is the largest producer in the Bay of Islands and is focused on super premium expressions of the unique site on which we grow our grapes.
Chardonnay accounts for over half of production and Syrah is the most important red variety. The state-of-the-art winery allows for flexibility and attention to detail to coax the best out of every parcel of fruit.
Our goal is to produce outstanding grapes and wine, and we know achieving that takes extra effort sometimes. The successful applicant should be happy to work long hours at times over harvest and be open to doing extra shifts if weather or other factors dictate throughout the growing season.
The Landing is a multi-faceted operation that alongside the wine business includes honey and olive-oil production, hospitality, landscaping, property development, building maintenance, a native plant nursery and boating. From time to time, all staff are required to help in other parts of the business.
Remuneration will be based on experience and qualifications. Start date is negotiable.
Only people eligible to work in this country should apply for this position. Please provide evidence of your work visa or citizenship.
- For more information about the Northland wine region, click here