Vintage 2022 Positions
Company: Te Whare Ra Wines
Uploaded: 01 October 2021
Closes: 01 November 2021
Vintage 2022 positions
Te Whare Ra Wines are currently looking for experienced Cellar Hands to join our team for the 2021/22 season.
There are options for the position to commence in the vineyard for the growing season and then transition into the winery at vintage time. This allows the opportunity of being able to get an in depth look at organic winegrowing. There is also the option to join us just for the vintage period of March and April and following through into some post vintage work.
We are a small organic producer in Marlborough with an annual crush of 100 to 150t. The majority of our production is hand-picked and hand-sorted. We make a range of aromatic whites as well as Rose, Pinot Noir and Syrah. Besides our home block we also source fruit from other special sites in Marlborough.
What we are looking for
Our ideal candidate will have relevant vintage experience, and/or a relevant industry qualification. Attention to detail is a must have, as well as a willingness to learn. Applicants must be fit to work in a physically demanding environment which requires a lot of manual labour. Tractor or forklift experience would be beneficial.
Usually hours of work are 40 hours per week, however during peak of harvest, you will be required to work up to 12 hours per day.
We are looking for candidates who:
- Have at least two vintages experience
- Are self-motivated and able to work both on their own and as part of a team
- Are practical, proactive and use initiative
- Show a passion for great wine and the attention to detail required
- Are well-organised, have good time management skills
- Have good communication and English language skills
- Have a good sense of humour
- Have a good level of fitness
Vineyard work would involve such tasks as canopy management, crop management and wire-lifting. Vintage activities in the winery will include fruit collection and receival, sorting and processing, fermentation management, barrel work and ongoing upkeep of winery hygiene. You would be part of a small winery working alongside the owners where you will have the opportunity to learn in all aspects of the cellar.
Due to current levels of NZ border restrictions, applicants must be residing in New Zealand with a valid work visa through to the end of the vintage period in May 2022, or have NZ citizenship or permanent residency.
Please apply via email with an application letter and an up-to-date CV.
Only people eligible to work in this country should apply for this position. Please provide evidence of your work visa or citizenship.
- For information about working in New Zealand, visit the Immigration Department website: www.immigration.govt.nz
- For information about New Zealand's Inland Revenue Department (for tax purposes and getting tax numbers etc), visit www.ird.govt.nz
- For information about the Marlborough wine region, click here.
- Jobseekers should be aware that the start and finish dates of harvest work employment may change from those suggested by wineries at the time of your job offer. Vintage dates can not accurately be predicted.
It is therefore important that you understand that depending on your employment arrangements with the employer there may be a period of time where you have no work or less work than you were expecting, and should have sufficient financial arrangements in place should this occur. Your actual start and finish dates may vary - if you have queries around this, check with your winery employer before booking airline tickets etc.