Assistant Winemaker/Assistant Vineyard Manager
Company: Cable Bay Vineyards
Uploaded: 21 September 2021
Closes: 21 October 2021
The successful candidate will have a balance of relevant skills and interest for both the vineyard and the winery. This role will be based at our facility and vineyards on Waiheke Island (which process around 35T) and will be reporting directly to the Winemaker/Vineyard Manager. The position will have a combination of managerial, hands-on and machine operation in the vineyard. In the winery knowledge of the laboratory, cellar operations and record keeping is a must. The candidate will also be actively involved in winemaking and vineyard decisions and planning.
- Machine operation including tractor for bird netting installation, harvest, and side by side for general day-to-day. Also responsible for keeping the machines in working order.
- Managing and training seasonal staff during the growing season while working with them through all vineyard operations. e.g shoot thinning, bud rubbing, wire lifting...etc
- Organise and manage harvest operations.
- Keeping up with year-round vineyard maintenance, including wire maintenance and installing new posts.
- Input with vineyard management including pest and disease control and future spary plans.
- Carry out soil analysis as well as leaf and petiole tests at relevant times of the year to manage vineyard inputs.
- Keep up-to-date with all vineyard record keeping, including spray diaries and all data collected throughout the year.
- Take ownership of vineyards looking to progress into a vineyard managers role.
- Implement winemaking plans as agreed with the Winemaker.
- Recognise and implement meticulous detail in the cellar.
- Maintain operation of laboratory.
- Actively participate in all blending and fining trials, benchmarking sessions etc.
- Maintain accurate and timely winery records.
- Work with Winemaker through all harvest operations.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Tertiary qualification in Oenology and Viticulture.
- At least 1-year experience in similar role, and previous vintage experience.
- Confident machine operator with appropriate certifications e.g tractor and forklift.
- Vineyard experience, including harvest and pruning.
- Strong organizational, teambuilding, problem solving skills, with attention to detail.
- Available to work a varied schedule during the harvest season.
- Full driver's license
Cable Bay Vineyards
Cable Bay planted its first Chardonnay vines in 1998 on the picturesque Waiheke Island plot where it continues to stand and make premium wine up to this day. The vineyards which surround the winery and restaurants are all dry farmed due to the iron rich clay which they grow upon. The soil profile allows for a unique expressions of all the varieties grown, but especially the Syrah and Chardonnay. Everything in the vineyards is done by hand, this allows for premium small batch wine production year after year.
If you think you have the right profile for this position and lifestyle, please send in your resume and references to Ross Anderson by the 21st of October, via the apply button above.
Only people eligible to work in this country should apply for this position. Please provide evidence of your work visa or citizenship.
- For more information about the greater Auckland wine regions, click here