Premium Assistant Winemaker
Company: Giesen Group Ltd
Uploaded: 15 July 2021
Closes: 16 August 2021
· Multi Award-Winning Wines
· Iconic New Zealand Brand
· Fun and Challenging Working Environment
About the business
The Giesen Group is a family-owned and operated producer of internationally-recognised premium New Zealand wine and beer. Established in 1981, the Giesen Brothers are seen as one of the pioneers of the New Zealand wine industry and leaders in producing Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. The Company has grown into a strong brand both domestically and also on the international stage, where they export premium quality wine across the world.
About the role
The Premium Assistant Winemaker is a key role in the business and will take responsibility for assisting in the production of our premium portfolio wines and managing the premium wine cellar.
Reporting to the Winemaker, this is a hands-on position, spending 80% of your time in the cellar on the winery floor, and will require you to take ownership of a wide range of tasks. Specific areas of responsibility will include: day-to-day management of the premium cellar and wines – including batch sampling, wine additions and topping; helping oversee premium cellar vintage preparation; ensuring winemaking specifications are met as directed by the Chief and Senior Winemakers; overseeing red ferment cap management; monitoring all premium cellar ferments; overseeing premium white and red pressing and; issuing work orders to the premium cellar team.
You will have:
- A tertiary qualification in Oenology or a related field.
- Technical and practical knowledge of winemaking with at least 3 years’ experience.
- Experience in a winemaking role in NZ, with preference to experience with Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Syrah.
- Experience running a premium wine cellar, with a focus on barrel management.
- A sound knowledge of compliance requirements related to the wine industry.
- Current NZ Fork Lift license.
This is a permanent, full-time role that will take full advantage of your winemaking skills, problems solving ability and your attention to detail. While needing a high level of “know-how”, drive and initiative, you will also have that balance of technical skills combined with a pragmatic approach. In return you’ll get to work as part of a fantastic team and help craft World-class wines in a rewarding environment.
If you’re ready for the next step in your winemaking career, we’d love to hear from you today.
Only people eligible to work in this country should apply for this position. Please provide evidence of your work visa or citizenship.
- For information about the Marlborough wine region, click here.