Senior Lab Technician
Company: Vidal Estate, Esk Valley, Te Awa Collection, Villa Maria Estate
Uploaded: 02 July 2021
Closes: 30 July 2021
Villa Maria - Marlborough
Villa Maria is internationally-renowned for producing super premium New Zealand wines, recognised as one of the top 10 most admired wine brands in the world by Drinks International, and has remained New Zealand’s most awarded winery for the past 35 years.
Working within a smaller Marlborough winemaking team, the Senior Lab Technician is responsible for assisting the Lab Manager to implement and adhere to all laboratory protocols whilst delivering accurate on-time analysis.
During our grape harvest period (March – May), the Senior Technician is responsible for training a team of 5-6 technicians, to provide all grape maturity, fruit receival, and ferment analysis including fermentation sensory checks, as well as manage our yeast propagation protocol during the busy and exciting vintage months.
Excellent people skills are required to ensure clear communication between the winemaking team and cellar supervisors, as well as key organisational skills to facilitate workflow in the laboratory to meet bottling deadlines with a continual focus on wine quality.
- We are seeking a motivated team player, ideally with multiple years experience in a winery laboratory
- Our preferred candidate will have gained a relevant tertiary education and have previous experiences in a supervisory laboratory role, ideally on night-shifts
- Proven experience with winemaking software, Microsoft Excel graphing and csv file uploading is essential, and familiarity with Vinea software is also desirable
- Sound working knowledge and troubleshooting ability for Thermofisher Gallery auto-analyser, Density meters, Dissolved gasses C-Box, Alcolyzer, yeast cell counts, as well as a foundation in wet chemistry including conductivity measurements, auto-titrations and SO2 aspiration method
- Familiarity with BRC, IOC, WSMP, Biogro audits, including maintaining accurate calibration and training records
- Candidates must be eligible to work in New Zealand indefinitely.
Applications close Friday 30 July 2021.
Only people eligible to work in this country should apply for this position. Please provide evidence of your work visa or citizenship.
- For information about the Marlborough wine region, click here.