Vintage Cellar Hands
Company: Maude Wines
Uploaded: 24 September 2020
Closes: 24 October 2020
Maude is a family-owned company based in Wanaka, Central Otago.
The Wanaka winery is not only the home for the Maude range of wines, but it also provides the facility and staff to make several premium contract clients wines. The winery may process up to 800T, all of which is extremely small batch quality fruit, essentially, it is a medium-sized Central Otago winery run in a boutique style.
We are seeking Cellar Hands to join our team for vintage 2021. We have positions available for three experienced Cellar Hands and one newbie Cellar Hand who has minimal experience. Candidates must be able to work under pressure, do long hours with a smile, have good attention to detail and a great sense of humour.
Our vintage generally runs from the end of March to mid-June; however, this can vary and will depend on the season, so will be confirmed closer to vintage. We pay a weekly set salary which includes accommodation, morning tea, lunch, dinner, and transport.
Experienced Cellar Hands
Possible duties include vineyard work, fruit receival, crusher/destemmer operation, forklift work, rackings, transfers, plunging, pump overs, dig outs, barrel work, monitoring ferments, juice and wine additions and cleaning/sanitisation.
The following criteria apply:
- A minimum of 4 previous vintages, the more the better.
- A degree in Oenology would be a strong positive.
- Experience working with cool-climate varieties, particularly Pinot Noir.
- Experience driving a forklift.
- Sound knowledge of winery safety.
- Good health and fitness are essential, as the work is physically demanding.
- A current driver’s licence, valid in NZ.
- A high level of English (written and spoken).
Entry Level Cellar Hand
Your primary role will be performing the brix and temperature round daily. On top of this we will get you in the mix doing other jobs in the cellar and give you a good insight into the world of vintage. This role would suit someone studying winemaking and undertaking their first vintage, or someone who is passionate to learn and get their hands dirty.
Only people currently residing in New Zealand, or those who have the ability to freely enter the Country (Resident/Citizen) should apply.
Only people eligible to work in this country should apply for this position. Please provide evidence of your work visa or citizenship.
- For information about working in New Zealand, visit the Immigration Department website: www.immigration.govt.nz
- For information about New Zealand's Inland Revenue Department (for tax purposes and getting tax numbers etc), visit www.ird.govt.nz
- For information about the Central Otago wine Region, click here.
- Jobseekers should be aware that the start and finish dates of harvest work employment may change from those suggested by wineries at the time of your job offer. Vintage dates can not accurately be predicted.
It is therefore important that you understand that depending on your employment arrangements with the employer there may be a period of time where you have no work or less work than you were expecting, and should have sufficient financial arrangements in place should this occur. Your actual start and finish dates may vary - if you have queries around this, check with your winery employer before booking airline tickets etc.