Assistant Vineyard Manager
Company: Giesen Group
Uploaded: 06 July 2018
Closes: 14 July 2018
- Multi Award Winning Business
- Iconic New Zealand Brand
- Diverse Viticultural Opportunity
The Giesen Group is a family-owned and operated producer of internationally-recognised premium New Zealand wine and beer. Established in 1981, the Giesen Brothers are seen as one of the pioneers of the New Zealand wine industry and leaders in producing Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. The Company has grown into a strong brand both domestically and also on the international stage, where they export premium quality wine across the world.
Due to continued growth, we are looking for an Assistant Vineyard Manager to join our Marlborough based team. The role is primarily responsible for ensuring the fruit harvested is of optimum quality and quantity and meets our winemaking standards and specifications. By providing technical and practical support to the Vineyard Operations Manager, this is a key role within the Giesen vineyards.
Key accountabilities of the role also include:
- Working alongside the Vineyard Operations Manager to actively participate in the planning and implementation of the annual technical and practical vineyard management program by providing practical process solutions to the annual work cycle.
- Taking responsibility for overseeing and managing teams of permanent, casual and contractor staff as directed by the Vineyard Operations Manager including work plan implementation and the collation and recording of time sheets for staff.
- Performing hand and machinery operations to a high standard, leading by example as required.
- Using your knowledge, play an active role in providing practical solutions for the viticulture department regarding annual soil and vine nutritional requirements and the companies composting program.
- Liaising with outside parties including industry consultants and others, provide targeted solutions to the Giesen Group Viticulture technical program.
- General and technical report writing as required.
- Becoming familiar with, and assisting in, the management of Giesen vineyards with vineyard management technology including the GPS tracking software and spray planning tools, and any other technological developments.
- Managing and running all irrigation systems in line with monitoring reports, ensuring any maintenance is in line with manufacturers specifications and all associated records are maintained.
- Coordinating and the submission of the annual compliance programs requirements ie SWNZ and Bio Gro, ensuring compliance through the audit process.
- Overseeing co-ordination of harvesting as required, including any Vinetrace or any other winery software administration as required.
In addition, you will also have:
- A tertiary qualification in Viticulture, Horticulture, Science or related field.
- Technical and practical knowledge of the viticulture industry with at least 3 years’ experience.
- A sound knowledge of compliance requirements related to the viticulture and wine industry.
- A high level of attention to detail and pragmatic approach to problem solving.
- The ability to build relationships and communicate effectively at all levels within the business and externally.
This is an excellent career opportunity for a dynamic individual to apply and advance their technical and practical knowledge within the viticulture industry.
Applications close Friday 13th July 2018.