Stellar Cellar Hands Wanted for Vintage 2018
Company: Constellation Brands New Zealand
Location: Marlborough and Hawkes Bay
Type: Fixed Term
Category: Harvest / Vintage
We are passionate about crafting wine the world loves, which is why we are the leading exporter of New Zealand wines to North America, and our wines are enjoyed in more than 60 countries around the globe. Be part of the journey of our award-winning portfolio that includes Kim Crawford, Nobilo and Selaks by joining us for the 2018 vintage! Headed by our National Winery Operations Manager Dave Williams, we are currently recruiting in Marlborough and Hawke’s Bay for:
- Vintage Cellar Hands
We operate three wineries in New Zealand, which all make award-winning wines and offer different vintage experiences:
- Drylands Winery in Marlborough, the heart of our growing Sauvignon Blanc operations
- Riverlands Winery in Marlborough, home to our small-batch wines and luxury Pinot Noir programmes
- Selaks Winery in Hawke’s Bay, home to our growing Rosé programme and offering the most variety of wines and styles, from white and reds to low-alcohol wines.
Harvest in New Zealand kicks off in the North Island and travels south, which is why our Selaks Winery begins about mid-February and runs through March (weather dependent). If you are looking for the greatest variety, this is the place for you. From barrel work to flotation and red cap management techniques, this winery can offer you the greatest variety of work in a smaller setting. Headed by Selaks Winemaker Brett Fullerton (who started with us as a Cellar Hand 25 years ago!), this is the home of our growing Kim Crawford Rosé programme, low-alcohol wines and much more. The location is set amid the serene beauty of our Corner 50 Vineyard, where our grapes for Kim Crawford Small Parcels Chardonnay come from (this wine recently took home a gold medal in London at the Decanter awards!).
Our Marlborough-based operations start a little later and normally run from mid-March through to the end of May (weather dependent). Drylands Winery is home to our world-renowned Kim Crawford and Nobilo Sauvignon Blancs. Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc is now the No 1 wine in Canada and the No 1 Sauvignon Blanc in the US, followed by Nobilo at No 2. Drylands is the largest of our wineries, which is currently undergoing a five-year expansion to double production and meet growing demand for our wines overseas. Nobilo Winemaker Dave Edmonds is our resident expert in all things Sauv, and he'll be onsite to guide the winemaking process. If you want to dive deep into Marlborough Sauv and learn about the distinctiveness of the grape across Marlborough’s six sub-regions, this is the place for you.
Riverlands Winery is the smallest of our three wineries and it’s home to our hand-picked Pinot Noir programme. Headed by Kim Crawford Winemaker Anthony Walkenhorst, this facility processes all of our grapes from Central Otago and smaller parcels in Marlborough that we like to keep separate (Kim Crawford Small Parcels, Wild Grace, Nobilo Icon and more). If you want to know what it takes to craft an elegant Pinot Noir from hand-picked grapes, this is the place for you.
During peak season, you’ll be asked to work 12-hour shifts, six days per week, so a level of fitness is required. We offer competitive pay, a meal per shift, safety gear and a team environment under experienced leadership. (Many of our winemakers have been with us for 10+ years!)
The competitive candidate will:
- speak and understand a basic level of English,
- have the ability to meet New Zealand work VISA requirements,
- have a reasonable level of fitness to work 12-hour shifts, 6 days per week at peak times,
- have vintage experience (or an exceptional can-do attitude),
- love all things grapes and wine; and
- enjoy being part of a team
- be prepared to complete a pre-employment drug test
- have a degree in viticulture or winemaking (this would be a bonus!)
For more information about Constellation Brands, visit www.constellationnz.com or apply today!
To find out more about this company, visit the website: www.constellationnz.com
Only people eligible to work in this country may apply for this position. Please provide evidence (photocopy) of your work visa or citizenship.
- For information about working in New Zealand, visit the Immigration Department website: www.immigration.govt.nz
- For information about New Zealand's Inland Revenue Department (for tax purposes and getting tax numbers etc), visit www.ird.govt.nz
- Jobseekers should be aware that the start and finish dates of harvest work employment may change from those suggested by wineries at the time of your job offer. Vintage dates can not accurately be predicted.
It is therefore important that you understand that depending on your employment arrangements with the employer there may be a period of time where you have no work or less work than you were expecting, and should have sufficient financial arrangements in place should this occur. Your actual start and finish dates may vary - if you have queries around this, check with your winery employer before booking airline tickets etc.
- For information about the Marlborough wine region, click here.
- For information about the Hawkes Bay wine region, click here.
Shows approximate location of jobs. Click the icon on the map below to view a closer regional map.
This is the approximate location of this job and is provided for guidance only and should not be relied upon for actual location. Always confirm the location with the business